Thứ Năm, 9 tháng 1, 2020

IS GRAIN FREE DOG FOOD BAD?


Discussing diets with pet owners is one of the most hated aspects of my job. Not because I don’t like nutrition but because 90% of the time it ends up in an argument. 
The deal is this: grain free is no better than diets that contain grain. Read legitimate scientific sources about grain in dog diets and you will find that it is not only safe but beneficial. 
As a veterinarian, I do see more cases of GI issues and obesity on grain free diets (and just as many cases of allergies). The manufacturers basically replace grain with fat and this can cause problems. I am also constantly amazed at people who will spend upwards of $100 a month on grain free food and then tell me they can’t afford basic medical care for their dog, but that is another topic.
Currently there is some concern that grain free diets may lead to heart disease in some breeds of dogs. Many more studies need to be done but I do think it is something to pay attention to.
I tell people that as long as their dog is at a healthy weight, has normal GI function, and is doing well on the current diet, I see no reason to change. If owners want to do grain free, fine. The choice to feed grain free has absolutely no medical basis, it is purely personal and likely due to advertising by the company.

1 nhận xét: