Thứ Ba, 7 tháng 1, 2020

Losing Dax

My husband and I will be losing our old dog soon. Sometime this coming week, she will cross the Rainbow Bridge to be with our other dogs who have passed before her and she will then, finally, be free of the disease that has made her life uncomfortable for so long.

Dax is an Australian Shepherd. She has, in her 13 ½ years, earned obedience titles, herded sheep and geese, played in agility and was an awesome therapy dog. She was honored by the AKC's ACE program with an honorable mention for her therapy dog work.

Dax’s name comes from a Star Trek character, Jadzia Dax, who has a part of her that has lived many lives. When we first saw Dax as a baby puppy, we said she had wise eyes – she was an old soul who had been here many times before.

Dax is descended from the Australian Shepherd Club of America's first Supreme Versatility Champion and she took that to heart. She approached everything she did as a job and a job was always to be done as best it could be done. She worked hard and played hard. When she competed in obedience, she always gave 110 percent, usually won, and often won High in Trials. Dax felt that one didn’t just play ball or Frisbee, but you played it to win. Therefore she always got the ball or Frisbee first.

She also taught me a lot about dog training. She was easy to teach; she's very, very bright. But she was also easily bored - I couldn't repeat exercises for her as I had for some other dogs. So training had to new and fresh and interesting all the time so that I could keep her attention. If she got bored; I would pay for it! I like to say that smart dogs add ruffles and flourishes to their training; Dax is the one who taught me that!

With Dax, I also had to think more about my training; especially my timing. Dax’s mind was also going ninety miles an hour and if I reinforced a behavior late, she wasn’t learning what I wanted her to learn. And let me tell you, it only took one positive reinforcement for her to learn something new! Dax kept me on my toes. Dax also had a very strong sense of fairness. If she thought something was unfair, she would vocalize it – loudly!

Throughout her life, Dax challenged me. She was never an easy dog to live with; she made me think, she made me question myself, and often she made me angry. But, I love her, she loves me, and I learned a lot from her.

That said, I cannot write about Dax without mentioning her therapy dog work. I have had many certified therapy dogs and all have been wonderful in their own way. But Dax, the hard charging, difficult, intelligent dog that she is, was the best. She looked upon her therapy dog work as a job, as she looked upon everything, and as always, she gave 110 percent. She was amazingly emphathic and knew who needed her on any given day. She was calm and quiet with people who needed that from her and she was bouncing and playful from people who needed to laugh. I have written about Dax’s therapy dog experiences many times and they don’t need to be repeated here except to say, she gave her all to the people she visited and she meant it.

At the age of 6 years, Dax was diagnosed with liver disease (copper toxicosis). It is not common in Aussies but she had it. There is no cure and most Bedlington Terriers who have it die much too young. At that point, Dax's vet gave her six months to a year to live. With the co-operation of my vet and with second opinions from Dr Deb Eldredge, I changed Dax's food, reduced her stress, and began a supplement routine, including herbal remedies and anti-oxidants.

Now, seven years later at the age of 13, my husband, Paul, and I are losing Dax. Her liver has finally given up, she has severe arthritis, is incontinent, is deaf, and just plain doesn't feel good. Our warrior woman is tired of fighting - which I never thought I would say about her as she has fought so long to remain strong and healthy.



It's always hard to lose an old dog; they have been a part of our lives for a long time. But every year we had with Dax was a bonus; when she was originally diagnosed with liver disease, we knew we could lose her at any time. Although we sometimes felt bad for her because there were times during the last seven years when she didn't feel good, she wasn't ready to give up and fought long and hard to remain healthy enough to take the ball away from the younger dogs. And as long as she was still fighting, we would back her up. But now the battle has been won, she’s made her place in this world, and she's tired of fighting so it's time to let her go.

But she will leave a legacy behind her. She gave hundreds of people love and affection during her therapy dog work, especially during the time when she did hospice work. Although she never had a puppy, she has taught many puppies the rules of civilized canine life with people. In addition, she taught me much more. I’ve got to warn everyone who has crossed the Rainbow Bridge before her, though, Dax is coming! Things will never be the same!

Thanks for everything, Dax.



0 nhận xét:

Đăng nhận xét